As projects grow, they tend to mutate into complex, monolithic applications ; that's where the team splits them into loosely coupled modules talking over the network (a.k.a a service-oriented architecture).
This talk will focus on a few key points for a successful "monolithic to distributed" transition:
- Setting clean and logical boundaries between services
- Providing a seamless integration to service users (SSO, merging views, ...)
- Performing a smooth transition when a service turns remote
- Choosing suitable protocols for communications (spoiler alert: avoid SOAP/XML :p)
- Stubbing versus integration testing, tips and tricks