Creating a custom search engine with python on google app engine. Serve large spikes in search request traffic. Allow students to find course reviews across multiple universities and countries.
- introduction to the real world problem - Students need to be able to find university courses across multiple countries and universities.
- first - explore how to solve the problem - collect course data & decide on a rough solution
- second - create minimum viable product & see how people use it. Iteratively make it better.
- second continued: Organise a big website launch event before you've created the website - then proceed to write 10K lines of code in the week before launch.
- third - analyse the 50K most recent search terms & make a simple tree data structure to help improve search performance.
- four - caching & cache invalidation
- five - Maybe I'll do an online marketing campaign halfway through the talk and show graphs of the app responding in real time.
- Covers Data analysis with python (csv, matplotlib, networkx, collections.Counter, logfile parsing)
- Covers "Futures" - doing RPC calls in parallel.
- Unit testing & simulating all things. - Being able to see how adjusting search functionality effects query times & quality of results.
- Some tasteful jokes to keep things entertaining ;)