Grant Paton-Simpson - SOFA Statistics - Developing, packaging, and promoting a Python open source project
SOFA Statistics - Developing, packaging and promoting a Python open source project
Presented by Grant Paton-Simpson
Overview of an open source Python project. Will cover wxPython (GUI toolkit) plus graphics generally; quirks of different databases; making python installer packages; using Sourceforge, Freshmeat, and Launchpad (and Bazaar); and promoting the project.
SOFA Statistics (http://www.sofastatistics.com/) is an open source desktop Python application with an emphasis on ease of use, learn as you go, and beautiful output. The talk will cover technical aspects of the project as well as project management issues. Specific areas covered will include:
- Experience using different database engines including SQLite, MySQL, MS Access, and MS SQL Server
- Issues with standard statistics modules e.g. in SciPy
- Making python installer packages – currently only deb packages and Windows installers (using NSIS). Plus managing releases.
- Using Sourceforge, Freshmeat, and Launchpad (including Bazaar)
- Promoting the project through blogging, answering posts e.g. Ubuntu, wikipedia, special aggregator lists and reviews, presentations, articles, etc.
Questions are very welcome as this is a very broad topic.
[VIDEO HAS ISSUES: Sound and video are poor. Slides are hard to read.]