Pinax is a platform for rapidly building websites with Django. This talk will cover what has happened with Pinax over the past year and where it will go in the future.
Pinax is a platform for rapidly building websites. It leverages Django in as many ways possible. It handles the parts which are common amongst many sites leaving you mostly worrying about what makes your site different.
The beginning of the talk will cover how Pinax started and where the project is today, and review some sites built with Pinax over the past year.
The Pinax team has been hard at work with 0.9. This talk will highlight the important improvements and fixes made to Pinax since 0.7:
- removed requirement of pinax-boot.py
- enabled pip install Pinax
- upgraded to Django 1.2
- improved account, waiting list and groups
- introduced new starter projects
The "must-haves" for the next release are to add or improve:
- per-object permissions
- e-mail backends
- friends and invitations
- tagging (move to django-taggit)
- notifications / activity streams
- wikis (change over wiki to wakawaka)
- blogs (change over blog to biblion)
- profiles (to give a good answer to: "How do I add more fields to a user?")
This talk will cover starter projects, and the layer zero concept implemented in Pinax by default. The talk will demo a couple starter projects created using setup_project.
Finally, the talk will cover some relevant stats over the past year, and a roadmap for the future.