You know that Python and Django is the way forward for your client, but with a mountain of legacy PHP code, where do you start?
Ben spent the last 3 years working with a thriving charity organisation to migrate their large PHP system to Django. He'd like to share some survival strategies.
This talk covers:
- explaining the transition to your client
- first steps and initial experiments
- running PHP and Django in parallel
- why incremental migration beats the "big switch"
- sharing databases and authentication
- making the experience seamless for visitors and staff
- strategies for converting the code