A tutorial covering some general concepts of geospatial data, main formats in which it is distributed and some common places where this data can be acquired. We will also learn how to read, process and visualise this data using Python and QGIS. This talk will cover some typical problems one can experience when working with geospatial data.
- Installing tools and packages (ansible scripts/cloud machine will be provided)
- Basic concepts
- geometries. Fixing invalid geometries.
- basic operations (union, intersection, difference)
- advanced operations (buffer, convex hull, skeleton, voronoi)
- Formats and tools
- OSM data
- common projections and their use
- how to chose the projection
- reprojecting datasets
- Using geospatial index
- Open Geospatial datasets
- UK specific datasets
- elevation data
- Storing geospatial data in databases (PostgreSQL, SpatiaLite, MongoDB, ElasticSearch)