PyData London 2016
In this talk I will give many examples of when Bayes rule will help you in your day to day work. I'll quickly show many examples of bayesian statistical thinking in action; the pleasure of inference, probabilistic graphs, model selection, feature generation, even operations research! I'll finish with a dataset from Heroes of the Storm and I'll show why Bayesian models can outperform randomforests.
My talk is made up of the following examples;
- basic disease example: what is the value of adding an extra test to a patient
- give an example of an inference task that is very hard to do properly without bayesian thinking
- creating simple probibalistic models with pandas and showing how they are robust against missing data
- demo the daft, corner and pomegrenate library
- show how you can use bayes rule to pick models
- demo a bayesian probablistic approach to finding overpowered characters in the Heroes of the Storm video game.
Slides available here: http://koaning.io/theme/notebooks/bayes.pdf